The ecological logic of Vitamin D
Vitamin D Deficiencies around the world.
Reasons for deficiency
UV-Radiation in High Performance
- Reduced chronic injuries by 50%
- Improved reaction times by 15%
- Improved adaptive capacity (athletes with radiation recovered and improved faster than controls)
- Improved 100m sprint times up 7,4% (Russian randomised controlled trial)
Vitamin D as the main benefit of sunlight
Are optimal Vitamin D levels necessary for optimal performance?
Are optimal Vitamin D levels necessary for optimal health?
EVERY single cell in the human body has a receptor for Vitamin D. That is why Vitamin D has so many wide ranging benefits. Click To Tweet
What are optimal levels of Vitamin D?
The optimal dosing of Vitamin D
Here is a supplementation protocol I have been using :
- Al-Sofiani ME, Jammah A, Racz M, Khawaja R a, Hasanato R, El-Fawal H a N, et al. Effect of Vitamin D Supplementation on Glucose Control and Inflammatory Response in Type II Diabetes: A Double Blind, Randomized Clinical Trial. Int J Endocrinol Metab. 2015 Jan;13(1):e22604.
- Allison RJ, Close GL, Farooq A, Riding NR, Salah O, Hamilton B, et al. Severely vitamin D-deficient athletes present smaller hearts than sufficient athletes. Eur J Prev Cardiol . 2014 Jan 7;
- Angeline ME, Ma R, Pascual-Garrido C, Voigt C, Deng XH, Warren RF, et al. Effect of Diet-Induced Vitamin D Deficiency on Rotator Cuff Healing in a Rat Model. Am J Sports Med. 2013 Oct 16;42(1):27–34.
- Angeline ME, Gee AO, Shindle M, Warren RF, Rodeo S a. The effects of vitamin D deficiency in athletes. Am J Sports Med. 2013 Feb;41(2):461–4.
- Bartoszewska M, Kamboj M, Patel DR. Vitamin D, Muscle Function, and Exercise Performance. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2010 Jun;57(3):849–61.
- Beaudart C, Buckinx F, Rabenda V, Gillain S, Cavalier E, Slomian J, et al. The Effects of Vitamin D on Skeletal Muscle Strength, Muscle Mass, and Muscle Power: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Jul 17;99(11):4336–45.
- Camu W, Tremblier B, Plassot C, Alphandery S, Salsac C, Pageot N, et al. Vitamin D confers protection to motoneurons and is a prognostic factor of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Neurobiol Aging. 2014 May;35(5):1198–205.
- Cannell JJ, Grant WB, Holick MF. Vitamin D and inflammation. Dermatoendocrinol. 2014 Jan 1;6(1):e983401.
- Cannell JJ, Hollis BW, Sorenson MB, Taft TN, Anderson JJB. Athletic performance and vitamin D. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009 May;41(5):1102–10.
- Cannell JJ, Hollis BW, Sorenson MB, Taft TN, Anderson JJB. Athletic performance and vitamin D. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009;41(5):1102–10.
- Chatterjee S, Mondal S, Borman A Sen, Konar A. Vitamin D , optimal health and athletic performance : A review study. 2014;3(6):526–33.
- Cheatum BA. Effects of a Single Biodose of Ultraviolet Radiation upon the Speed of College Women. Res Quarterly Am Assoc Heal Phys Educ Recreat. 1968 Oct 1;39(3):482–5.
- Chowdhury R, Kunutsor S, Vitezova A, Oliver-Williams C, Chowdhury S, Kiefte-de-Jong JC, et al. Vitamin D and risk of cause specific death: systematic review and meta-analysis of observational cohort and randomised intervention studies. BMJ. 2014 Apr 1;348.
- Chun RF, Gacad M, Nguyen L, Hewison M, Adams JS. Co-chaperone potentiation of vitamin D receptor-mediated transactivation: A role for Bcl2-associated athanogene-1 as an intracellular-binding protein for 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3. J Mol Endocrinol. 2007;39(1–2):81–9.
- Close GL, Russell J, Cobley JN, Owens DJ, Wilson G, Gregson W, et al. Assessment of vitamin D concentration in non-supplemented professional athletes and healthy adults during the winter months in the UK: implications for skeletal muscle function. J Sports Sci. 2013 Jan;31(4):344–53.
- Close GL, Leckey J, Patterson M, Bradley W, Owens DJ, Fraser WD, et al. The effects of vitamin D(3) supplementation on serum total 25[OH]D concentration and physical performance: a randomised dose-response study. Br J Sports Med. 2013;47(11).
- Dahlquist DT, Dieter BP, Koehle MS. Plausible ergogenic effects of vitamin D on athletic performance and recovery. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2015;12(33).
- Ekwaru JP, Zwicker JD, Holick MF, Giovannucci E, Veugelers PJ. The importance of body weight for the dose response relationship of oral vitamin D supplementation and serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D in healthy volunteers. PLoS One. 2014 Jan;9(11):e111265.
- Farrokhyar F, Tabasinejad R, Dao D, Peterson D, Ayeni O, Hadioonzadeh R, et al. Prevalence of Vitamin D Inadequacy in Athletes: A Systematic-Review and Meta-Analysis. Sport Med. 2015;45(3):365–78.
- Girgis CM, Clifton-Bligh RJ, Turner N, Lau SL, Gunton JE. Effects of vitamin D in skeletal muscle: falls, strength, athletic performance and insulin sensitivity. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2014 Feb;80(2):169–81.
- Hamilton B, Whiteley R, Farooq A, Chalabi H. Vitamin D concentration in 342 professional football players and association with lower limb isokinetic function. J Sci Med Sport. 2014 Jan;17(1):139–43.
- Kimball S. Investigating the safety and therapeutic potential of vitamin D3 with calcium supplementation in patients with mutliple sclerosis by investigating the safety and therapeutic potential of vitamin d 3 with calcium supplementation in patients with multiple. 2011;
- Koundourakis NE, Androulakis NE, Malliaraki N, Margioris AN. Vitamin D and exercise performance in professional soccer players. PLoS One. 2014;9(7).
- Larson-Meyer DE, Willis KS. Vitamin D and Athletes. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2010;9(4).
- Maroon JC, Mathyssek CM, Bost JW, Amos A, Winkelman R, Yates AP, et al. Vitamin D Profile in National Football League Players. Am J Sports Med. 2015 Feb 3;1–5.
- Martineau AR, James WY, Hooper RL, Barnes NC, Jolliffe DA, Greiller CL, et al. Vitamin D3 supplementation in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (ViDiCO): a multicentre, double-blind, randomised controlled trial. Lancet Respir Med. 2015 Feb;3(2):120–30.
- Matsuoka LY, Wortsman J, Hollis BW. Use of topical sunscreen for the evaluation of regional synthesis of vitamin D3. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1990 May;22(5, Part 1):772–5.
- Moran DS, McClung JP, Kohen T, Lieberman HR. Vitamin D and physical performance. Vol. 43, Sports Medicine. 2013.
- Neal S, Sykes J, Rigby M, Hess B. A review and clinical summary of vitamin D in regard to bone health and athletic performance. Phys Sportsmed. 2015;43(2).
- Ogan D, Pritchett K. Vitamin D and the athlete: Risks, recommendations, and benefits. Vol. 5, Nutrients. 2013.
- Pollock N, Dijkstra P, Chakraverty R, Hamilton B, Chb MB. Low 25 ( OH ) vitamin D concentrations in international UK track and fi eld athletes. 2012;24(2):55–9.
- Shaffer J a., Edmondson D, Wasson LT, Falzon L, Homma K, Ezeokoli N, et al. Vitamin D Supplementation for Depressive Symptoms. Psychosom Med. 2014 Apr;76(3):190–6.
- Shanely RA, Nieman DC, Knab AM, Gillitt ND, Meaney MP, Jin F, et al. Influence of vitamin D mushroom powder supplementation on exercise-induced muscle damage in vitamin D insufficient high school athletes. J Sports Sci. 2014;32(7).
- Shuler FD, Wingate MK, Moore GH, Giangarra C. Sports health benefits of vitamin d. Sports Health. 2012 Nov;4(6):496–501.
- Singh G, Bonham AJ. A Predictive Equation to Guide Vitamin D Replacement Dose in Patients. J Am Board Fam Med. 2014 Jul 1;27(4):495–509.
- Sinha A, Hollingsworth KG, Ball S, Cheetham T. Improving the vitamin D status of vitamin D deficient adults is associated with improved mitochondrial oxidative function in skeletal muscle. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98(3):509–13.
- Society E. Guidelines Evaluation , Treatment , and Prevention of Vitamin D Deficiency : An Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline. 2011.
- Todd J, Pourshahidi LK, McSorley E, Madigan S, Magee P. Vitamin D: Recent Advances and Implications for Athletes. Sport Med. 2015;45(2):213–29.
- Tomlinson PB, Joseph C, Angioi M. Effects of vitamin D supplementation on upper and lower body muscle strength levels in healthy individuals. A systematic review with meta-analysis. J Sci Med Sport. 2014;(0).
- Veugelers P, Ekwaru J. A Statistical Error in the Estimation of the Recommended Dietary Allowance for Vitamin D. Nutrients. 2014;6(10):4472–5.
- Villacis D, Yi A, Jahn R, Kephart CJ, Charlton T, Gamradt SC, et al. Prevalence of Abnormal Vitamin D Levels Among Division I NCAA Athletes. Sports Health. 2014 Jul;6(4):340–7.
- Vitamin D. Letter to Veugelers, P.J. and Ekwaru, J.P., A Statistical Error in the Estimation of the Recommended Dietary Allowance for Vitamin D. 2015;25:1688–90.
- von Hurst PR, Beck KL. Vitamin D and skeletal muscle function in athletes. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2014;17(6).
- Walker N, Love TD, Baker DF, Healey PB, Haszard J, Edwards AS, et al. Knowledge and attitudes to vitamin D and sun exposure in elite New Zealand athletes: a cross-sectional study. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2014 Sep 17;11(1):47.
- Wentz LM. Vitamin D Status May Affect Resilience and Recovery from Mild Traumatic Brain Injury in Military Personnel. Austin J Nutr Food Sci. 2014;2(5):7–10.
- Wyon MA, Koutedakis Y, Wolman R, Nevill AM, Allen N. The influence of winter vitamin D supplementation on muscle function and injury occurrence in elite ballet dancers: A controlled study. J Sci Med Sport. 2014 Jan;17(1):8–12.
Uwitonze AM, Razzaque MS. Role of Magnesium in Vitamin D Activation and Function. J Am Osteopath Assoc 2018;118(3):181–189. doi: 10.7556/jaoa.2018.037.
Gerrit Keferstein is a Medical Doctor specialised in Performance & Functional Medicine. He is most known for his work on the optimisation of recovery and adaptation in elite athletes.